Monday, April 4, 2011

The Best Oiler Rookie Class - Hockey Card Edition

As I have been adding to my collection of Oiler rookie cards I started to wonder what would be the best Oiler rookie class in regards to Hockey cards. Now it wasn't easy to define what the best class would be based on Hockey cards. Basically came down to three years;

1981 - 82

Anderson, Coffee, Kurri, and Moog

 

2007 - 08

Gilbert, Cogliano, Gagner, and Schremp


 
 

2009 - 10

Hall, Omark, Paajarvis and Eberle


 


Now if we based this on career achievements its a pretty big no brainer the 81-82 Group would rock the other two combined, though the 07 group did have Robbie Schremp.

If we compared based on the combined Beckett value of cards themselves for each group it would be pretty unfair as well considering that 81-82 group only had one card manufacturer. Plus with the short prints of today they are not nearly as rare as some of the rookie cards of today.

All in all I think nostalgia wins the day here. Don't get me wrong the cards being manufactured in this decade are awesome, I love the look, I love the autographs and jerseys but nothing beats old fashioned bubble gum cards. Plus it doesn't hurt that the first group won a bunch of cups.

Maybe in 30 years we will get to look back on the other two groups and wax nostalgic about their careers as well. we can only HOPE

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget Kevin Lowe also from 81-82.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, I had him in there originally but I liked just having 4 for each. 81-82 was an unreal year.

    I think this past year we could be looking back 30 years and having the same thoughts but it would be pretty tough to beat.

    ReplyDelete